We welcome volunteers on field trips, in the classroom, and for School Council-sponsored activities.
As a Westmount volunteer, you are placed in a position of trust with students, staff or property. A valid security clearance must be obtained for some types of volunteer activities.
Note: Guest speakers or visitors to the school, and parents assisting their own child only are not considered to be volunteers, and do not require a security clearance.
Before you can volunteer at Westmount, you must do several things:
- Determine which Westmount Category your volunteer activity falls within.
- If category “A”, you must complete a Police Information Check:
- Request a PIC letter (volunteer letter) from the Elementary or Mid-High office. You can do this in person or by phone. School administrators will verify your identity and register you in our volunteer database. We will then provide you with a letter enabling you to obtain a police information check from the Calgary Police Service (CPS). Complete a Police Information Check either online (ePIC) or in-person at a designated police station.
- Complete the Westmount Volunteer Registration form and the Volunteer Driver form and Declaration (if you intend to be a driver during your volunteer activity). Submit these forms to the school office (Elementary or Mid-High) along with your Police Information check.
- Volunteer drivers applicants must also submit a copy of:
- A recent Driver Abstract obtained from an Alberta Registry Office (the individual must have a safe driving record with less than six demerit points). You may get a Driver Abstract from an Alberta Registry Office for a small fee.
- your driver’s licence
- If category “B”, you do not require a Police Information Check: