Volunteer at Westmount
We welcome volunteers on field trips, in the classroom, and for School Council-sponsored activities.
As a Westmount volunteer, you are placed in a position of trust with students, staff or property. A valid security clearance must be obtained for some types of volunteer activities.
Note: Guest speakers or visitors to the school, and parents assisting their own child only are not considered to be volunteers, and do not require a security clearance.
The Volunteer Process
Before you can volunteer at Westmount, you must do several things:
- Determine which Westmount Category your volunteer activity falls within.
- If category “A”, you must complete a Police Information Check:
- request a PIC letter (volunteer letter) from the Elementary or Mid-High office. You can do this in person or by phone. School administrators will verify your identity and register you in our volunteer database. You will then be provided with a letter enabling you to obtain a police information check from the Calgary Police Service (CPS). Complete a Police Information Check either online (ePIC) or in-person at a designated police station.
- Complete the Westmount Volunteer Registration form and the Volunteer Driver form and Declaration if you intend to be a driver during your volunteer activity. Submit these forms to the school office (Elementary or Mid-High) along with your Police Information Check.
- If category “B”, you do not require a Police Information Check:
- Complete the Westmount Volunteer Registration form. Submit the form to the school office (Elementary or Mid-High)
HOW DO I?
The VSPN (Volunteer Screening Program Number) issued by Volunteer Alberta, replaced Westmount’s VOAN number in July 2017.
The VSPN provides a fee waiver for field trip volunteers and volunteer drivers applying for a Police Information Check.
All other Category A volunteers will be required to cover a $15 fee to apply for a Police Information Check.
There is no cost associated with becoming a Category B volunteer.
- Your Volunteer Registration Form must be resubmitted to the school every three years.
- The Volunteer Driver Form/Declaration must be resubmitted every year.
- The Police Information Check (PIC or ePIC) will expire in 3 years from the date you receive your approval. You are responsible for reapplying for a new PIC before it expires. (You may reapply within 3 months of expiration). If this is not done, you will have to wait for the new PIC to arrive before you can resume volunteering.
We are grateful for our volunteers!