Dear Westmount Parents/Guardians,
On February 26th, Premier Kenney announced the provincial government’s intent to move to step 2 of the province’s path back to normal including further relaxation of COVID-19 restrictions as listed below, effective March 1, 2022. Unless we hear otherwise from the Minister of Education or her Deputy Minister later today, we will move forward with the reduction of COVID-19 restrictions as they apply to schools, effective school opening tomorrow.
Please note that mask wearing will be optional for all staff and students. Some staff and students may still be anxious about the removal of masks and we ask for everyone’s continued respect and support for their individual choices. Administration at each campus will provide detailed follow-up about procedures to address the changes in restrictions and efforts to maintain safe working and learning environments.
The mandate requiring proof of vaccination for staff, volunteers, visitors and contractors, is defined in board policy. We anticipate a special meeting of the board to review and make a decision with respect to the appropriate timing to rescind the policy and associated administrative procedure.
Alberta will enter Step 2 starting on March 1. At that time, the following measures will be updated.
- Any remaining school requirements removed (for example: Kindergarten to grade 6 cohorting).
- Youth screening activities for entertainment and sport activities removed.
- Capacity on all large venues and entertainment venues lifted.
- Indoor and outdoor social gathering limits lifted.
- Mandatory work-from-home requirements lifted.
- Provincial mask mandate will be lifted except in high-risk settings, including on public transit, at AHS-operated and contracted facilities, and all continuing care settings.
Thank you for your understanding and support as we adjust our plans and procedures to adjust to the provincial changes.