Hello WCS MH families,
We recognize current trends in political, social, and cultural contexts in our society (vis a vis Anti-Racism) impact our school and community. As educators, we realize we have a role to play in promoting diversity, equity and inclusion in our school. As a first step, our staff have taken up the opportunity to build on their understanding of the local, national and international issues related to racism, anti-racism, and systemic racism and their implications for education.
We have been fortunate to work with Dr. Joseph Smith, as part of our staff Professional Development.
Dr. Joseph Smith is the executive director of Generation Chosen, a contract professor, TDSB teacher and the director of youth outreach for Operation Black Vote Canada. He also works with Morneau Shepell as an Anti-Black Racism and Emotional Health and Well-Being Facilitator and Consultant. If you would like to learn more about him, please check out his website here.
This work will include but is not limited to, completing the following 3 modules with Dr. Smith over the next month.
- Module I: Challenging What We Think We Know About Racism
- Module II: Anti-Racism in Action: Exploring Power, Privilege and Allyship in the Workplace
- Module III: Inclusive Leadership: Moving Beyond Diversity towards Racial Equity
We will use our new understandings to facilitate discussion and work on these important issues and trends with our students and community.
Additionally, some Westmount student leaders have also taken up this work and created a Westmount Diversity Council. The Diversity Council was created with the mission to:
- raise awareness and educate the Westmount community on racial issues in the world
- create a safe environment for Westmount students
- create an opportunity for students to make a change within the school.
The Diversity Council executive continues to work directly with Dr. Smith to engage and empower our community in creating a more inclusive and equitable world.