Effective Immediately, all classes at Westmount Charter School Have Been Cancelled Indefinitely. Stay Tuned for More Information.
(Last updated at 8:08 p.m. Sunday, March 15, 2020)
Dear Westmount Community,
At this time of heightened anxiety and concern about COVID 19, I offer the following comments for your information.
Key messages about our most up-to-date information:
- School closure will not be implemented at this time as declared by Dr. Hinshaw, Chief Medical Officer of Health (MOH).
- Schools will implement a zero tolerance policy for mild symptoms of students, staff, parents and visitors alone with other strategic practices to limit the potential spread of COVID 19.
- Westmount has a two-week spring break which is longer than the majority of school boards in Alberta. We have the advantage of an extra week built into our calendar to reduce contact among individuals from within and outside the school.
- If school closure is to be implemented in the future, advance notice will be given to schools to ensure preparations for closure have occurred.
- It is recognized that we cannot completely stop the spread of the virus; however, we need to take appropriate steps to limit the spread.
- Dr. Hinshaw encourages people to complete the self-assessment available online.
- All travel outside Canada is not recommended. Effective March 12, all travellers returning from outside Canada must self-isolate for 14 days and monitor for symptoms (see links below on how to self-isolate). Pilots and flight attendants are the only exceptions
- Please call Health Link 811 during non-peak hours (peak hours are 10:00 am to 3:00 pm and 6:00 pm t 10:00 pm).
- If your child is sick, do not send them to school.
- Many parents have chosen not to send children to school as their own self-protection strategy.
- Westmount school’s website will be a continuous source of up-to-date information.
To avoid repeating information already provided in previous messages, Dr. Hinshaw’s latest recommendations and comments can be accessed under Chief Medical Officer of Health in the following link: www.alberta.ca/covid19
We will continue to provide updates during this final week of school and during the spring break as relevant information or changes come forward. Our school website is a good source of information and will post the latest information on a regular basis.
I appreciate the many e-mails providing suggestions about how to deal with the pandemic crisis to continue to operate a safe and healthy environment for students and staff. We will endeavor to implement best practices recommended by Alberta Health Services, Alberta Education and other credible sources.
On behalf of the school and central office staff, we thank you for your support during this challenging time.
Please note the list of websites below for additional critical information and helpful hints:
Go to Health Updates Page