We know that our school community is growing increasingly concerned with the announcement of local cases of COVID-19. Alberta Health Services (AHS) is actively monitoring the situation and leading the response in Alberta. We take our direction from AHS and will continue to respond and act in accordance with their recommendations.
Westmount is working directly with the College of Alberta School Superintendents (CASS), AHS and Alberta Education.
We have also set up an internal task force to address necessary planning and issues.
- Caretaking staff have increased cleaning and disinfecting protocols on high touch points (example: door knobs, light switches, desk tops, etc.) throughout the schools.
- WCS schools will remind students of good hand washing techniques and new posters will be provided to reinforce this.
- If your child is sick, do not send them to school. Please call the school to report their absence.
- If you or your child have symptoms such as fever, cough and difficulty breathing, have traveled outside Canada or have been exposed to someone who has COVID-19, stay home and call Health Link 811.
In certain circumstances, AHS is directing Albertans to self-isolate and is increasing testing for COVID-19. Self-isolation is a precautionary measure and does not mean that the individual is infected with COVID-19.
- When families in our schools contact AHS (Health link or other), they are asked to self-isolate if they feel they have symptoms of COVID 19 or have been exposed to someone who has tested positive, rather than going to the hospital. If you or your child is at risk due to close contact with COVID-19, AHS will notify you.
- Family members not flagged for testing by AHS and who are not showing symptoms may continue their regular routines such as going to work and attending school.
There are Westmount families who are not allowing their child(ren) to attend school for the next couple of weeks out of concern about the potential spread of the virus. This is not a recommendation from the school or AHS.
We are taking all direction from AHS. If you have further questions, please call Health Link at 811. School staff are unable to answer medical questions.
AHS recommends the following to help prevent respiratory illnesses, including flu and COVID-19, from spreading:
- Wash your hands often and well
- Avoid touching your face, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Clean and disinfect surfaces that are frequently touched
- Stay at home and away from others if you are feeling ill
- When sick, cover your cough and sneezes and then wash your hands
We will share any further information we receive on COVID-19. The school website is also a source of information and will be updated as new information is received.
We appreciate your support.