Dear Westmount Parents/Guardians,
We are pleased to announce the appointment of Mr. Graeme Finlay as Principal, Westmount Charter School, Mid-High Campus, effective August 21, 2018.
Mr. Finlay was one of a few excellent, short-listed candidates who met the approved criteria from a list of 22 applicants. Feedback from students, staff and parents about the personal and professional attributes desirable in a new principal were considered in the final selection criteria.
The characteristics and competencies considered in Mr. Finlay’s appointment included the following:
- He meets or exceeds the criteria established by the Board and identified in the job posting;
- He is student-centered;
- He understands the characteristics and needs of students who are gifted, including asynchronous development and multi-exceptional needs;
- He is approachable and willing to develop a strong individual connection with students;
- He has knowledge of student program needs and demonstrates a sensitivity to concerns of parents and to the needs of staff;
- He can navigate the complexities of our diverse community, including relationships with and among administration, staff, students and parents;
- He has demonstrated strong leadership during his tenure in the Calgary Board of Education (CBE);
- He has the capacity and passion to provide stability and continuity to the leadership role at a crucial time in the life of Westmount Charter School, Mid-High Campus; and
- He possesses a great sense of humour.
Mr. Finlay was assessed as a gifted student and attended classes in the Gifted and Talented Education (GATE) program in the CBE. He has served in six different CBE schools as teacher, learning leader/teacher, assistant principal, and principal, as well as a system specialist. His teaching experience includes four years at Queen Elizabeth School in the GATE program. Mr. Finlay served two terms on the Westmount Charter School Board of Directors during which the Charter renewal document was developed and received approval from the Minister of Education. Mr. Finlay served as Chair of the Board in his last term. He holds a Master of Education Degree in Educational Technology from the University of Calgary. He is currently the principal of Rosedale School.
Please join us in welcoming Mr. Graeme Finlay to Westmount.
Kathleen Rockwell, Chair, Board of Directors
Peter Khu, Chair, Principal Selection Committee